Monday, April 13, 2009

Deleting "friends" on Black Saturday


Up to now, I am still "quizzical" why the day after Good Friday and the day before Easter is called Black Saturday...

I remembered growing up in our home and having our own home library, my mom was a former librarian and she knew the importance of books and other reading materials. Our home library was well appointed-- it contains a wide range of books-- from the Children's Bible, to fairytales, to encyclopedias, to reader's digest, to romance novels, and my favorite-Pollyanna and Nancy Drew series, name it--most probably our home library has it...

I am really grateful to have a mom like my Mommy, she believes that any reading material -provided it is not smutt- is good for us.. We would have our neighbor's school age kids coming over our house on weekends doing their schoolworks and researches--- well- this was that moment in time when encarta and wikipedia were lightyears away... he he

Up to this very day- my fascination to good books never "perished" amidst having DSL in the comforts of my own room... The moment I step into the mall my feet will bring me either to a bookstore or to the handyman section.. he he.. When I see people reading books in a coffeeshop I always get that "jealous" feeling.. he he

One of the many books we have in our home library, was a book entitled Black Saturday-- it was a thick hardbound book, the cover was in black and the letterings were in gold. It look like a Bible--err rather a Quran (yes we have a Quran in the house amidst us being Catholics)-- this is because my dad's family hails from Zamboanga and Cotabato.

I was always amazed by that book-- my dad knowing that I am a voracious reader at a very young age, he told me that I am still young to read it-- hence its place is on the topmost shelf... I also remembered the 3big books entitled World War II- it was also in black (matte) and the letterings was also in black but embossed (glossy)-- by mere looking at that 3big books it signify melancholy---

That 3books were also "forbidden" because it is an archive of photos of war, and the pictures were very graphic-my dad doesn't want me to be exposed to such kind of violence... However my Kuya Jul (4 years older) and my cousin Dax (almost same age as I am-- ok ok he is 2mos and 17 days older than me-- he he) is allowed to scan the pages of that book-- lalaki daw kase sila.. maybe they have the "guts" ...

As I went into age-- and I am already allowed to read most of the books in our family library-- I never really liked that 3big books-- yes! I had seen most of its pages- its really gruesome-- nowadays when there is a new war picture/movie-- eventhough how acclaimed it is-- I just hate it -- I knew somehow that the scene will just be a "reproduction" of what was documented in that 3big books--- in a more vivid way..

So what about the book Black Saturday- amidst my fascination, I never read that book-- my Kuya An An (also a reader like me) told me that it is also a book about war...

As much as I am amazed by the term Black Saturday-- I never liked war-- war was the reason why my dad's family uprooted from Cotabato and left their vast acres of land there-- war was the reason why dad's family have to migrate to the US and war was also the reason why my parents have to say goodbye to the good memories they had in Cotabato.

As I am making this blog, I searched the web for the History of Black Saturday- the web wasn't able to give me detailed story- maybe I did not searched hard enough--- but one thing is sure-- Black Saturday entails sadness...

Well ... well.. well.. going back to the title of this blog--- today I decided to delete some people in my friendster list-- nope I am not waging war--- instead I am searching for Peace...
and deleting them was a baby step in achieving my own peace... I felt a relief when I did that, I feel better now..

Tomorrow will be Easter a day of renewal and of new life...

I am heeding towards it...

No comments:

Post a Comment